Thursday, January 1, 2015

Reel Injun

As a kid, I loved watching movies about Injuns. John Wayne films were a huge part of my life. When I wasn't watching westerns, I would crack up over cartoon portrayals of Indians such as Bugs Bunny. Essentially, what I saw was what I believed to be accurate accounts of Native American history. I use to sing one little two little three little Indians, never realizing it was a head count for killing them in battle. Essentially, I was manipulated to find humor and enjoyment of genocide without realizing it.

The Hollywood Interpretations of Native American culture were made for a reason. To validate we are the Americans, not them. This documentary is a great example how easily our thoughts and ideas of culture are not authentic. This documentary gives insight into our history. Basically, the spoils of winning a war is reshaping history. I saw the Searchers many times. Never did I watch this movie with the filter that John Wayne just shot the eyes out of a Native American. Nor was I surprised this was allowed to be filmed during a highly censored time in Hollywood. The allowance was give by the censors so I could think, "they were savages, this is normal."

As I watched this documentary, I could not help but ponder, "what would be the film interpretations of failed attempts at genocide if they succeeded. Would Germany have used films to portrays Jews as savages post WWII? Would there be funny cartoons with stereotypes of Jewish culture? (even worse than what is out there today) What would be the interpretations on film of other global conflicts? It is very disturbing how film and media can shape our beliefs of other cultures. Our lack of exposure to diversity allows Hollywood to shape the identities of cultural groups we do not know or understand.

Another sad aspect of the film was learning the  accuracy of one of my favorite icons of Native American caricatures: Iron Eyes Cody. Who was Iron Eyes Cody? He was the Native American that was portrayed in the anti-pollution commercials during the 1970's. This part of the documentary demonstrates the complexity of "what is real" and "what is not."

During the film, a change of events that helped us reevaluate Hollywood's portrayal of Native Americans was Marlon Brando's refusal to accept an Oscar back in the 1970s. The explanation behind this event is very telling of Marlon Brando's persona that I never understood until watching this film. There are many historical references throughout this film that will challenge most non-natives in our country to rethink what we were taught in school, and at home about Native American history. Without a doubt, a great documentary.

* Note: Reel Injun is on Netflix and you can find clips on Youtube to use in a classroom.
** If you think the singer Neil Diamond directed the film, Houston we have a problem.

No comments: